Suicide Prevention Week in Quebec: 5 Things to Know
Suicide Prevention Week is an event that takes place every year in Quebec. Here are five things to know about it.
1. What is Suicide Prevention Week?
Suicide Prevention Week is an awareness and mobilization event initiated by the Association québécoise de prévention du suicide (AQPS). Its objective is to make the population and decision makers aware of the scope and complexity of the problem, to promote the resources available in Quebec (including suicide.ca and Quebec’s suicide prevention hotline [1-866-277-3553]), to normalize the request for help and to encourage people to talk about suicide openly and safely.
2. Why devote a week to raise awareness of the extent of the suicide problem?
- In Quebec, 3 people take their own lives every day.
- According to data from the Institut national de santé publique du Québec, more than 3,600 hospitalizations are linked to a suicide attempt each year, which is the equivalent of more than 10 hospitalizations per day.
- In Quebec, the suicide rate is three times higher among men than among women.
3. Dates and theme for next Suicide Prevention Week in Quebec
The next Suicide Prevention Week will take place from January 30 to February 5, 2022. It will be the 32nd edition. The theme has not yet been announced.
The most recent edition took place from January 31 to February 6, 2021 under the theme "Talking about suicide saves lives". The summary of this 31st edition is available on the AQPS website.
4. Everyone can contribute to Suicide Prevention Week in Quebec
Citizens and organizations can do simple things to mark Suicide Prevention Week and help out with prevention. The website howtotalkaboutsuicide.ca, the site of the "Talking about suicide saves lives" campaign, provides some ideas for actions to mark the event.
5. Activities are organized throughout Quebec
Several organizations in Quebec organize activities to mark Suicide Prevention Week. Consult the calendar of activities of the Association québécoise de prévention du suicide to discover them (available in French only).