Legal Problems and Suicide

What are legal problems?

Legal problems are matters that must be dealt with by officers of the court. They can be disconcerting and stressful.


Which legal problems can cause stress?

Many types of legal problems can affect a person’s mental health, including:

  • Being evicted from your home
  • Losing custody of your children
  • Being involved in an estate dispute
  • Getting divorced
  • Being involved in a property dispute
  • Losing your driver’s licence (for impaired driving or being unfit to drive)
  • Being a victim of or accused of economic fraud
  • Being a victim of or accused of a criminal act

What impacts can legal problems have on mental health?

Legal problems can have all sorts of effects on a person’s mental health, including:

  • Anxiety
  • Conflicts with loved ones
  • Headaches and stomach aches
  • Insomnia
  • Feelings of guilt
  • Depression
  • Suicidal thoughts

Are you having legal problems and suicidal thoughts?

People with legal problems may have suicidal thoughts. If this is the case for you, consult the following sections:

01 Taking stock of your mental health

The first step toward taking back control is identifying what’s causing your suicidal thoughts.

02 Taking care of yourself

There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself and regain your balance when you’re having suicidal thoughts.

03 Talking about it with your loved ones

Asking for help from your family and friends isn’t always easy. There are different ways of going about it.

04 Finding support services

Every day, all sorts of people contact support services to get the help they need.

What to do if you have legal problems

It’s possible to find a way forward despite legal problems. If you find that your legal problems are affecting your psychological well-being, first call Info-Social at 811, option 2, to discuss your situation with a psychosocial worker and be referred, if necessary, to resources in your area that can provide support.

For an assessment and follow-up with a healthcare professional, consult a general practitioner (your family doctor, for example), a psychologist or contact your local CLSC.

Other resources can help people with legal problems.

Advice for people with legal problems

What I'm going through...