Violence and Suicide

What is violence?

Violence is what happens when one person in a relationship makes the other person feel afraid, powerless, or unsafe.

What are the different types and signs of violence?

  • Physical violence: Threatening or hurting someone, throwing things at them, or physically injuring them.
  • Psychological violence: Constantly insulting, humiliating, or blaming someone.
  • Financial violence: Exercising control over a person’s finances or forcing them to distribute income unfairly.
  • Social violence: Exercising control over who a person sees or their religion or spirituality, following them, or flooding them with emails or text messages.
  • Sexual violence: Engaging in exhibitionism or sexually harassing or assaulting someone.

What are the effects of violence?

Violence can have all sorts of consequences, including:

  • Fear of the other person
  • Feelings of shame
  • Addiction issues
  • Feelings of anger or rage
  • Physical injury
  • Risk of being killed
  • Loss of meaningful relationships
  • Depression
  • Suicidal thoughts

Are you a victim of violence and having suicidal thoughts?

People who are victims of violence may have suicidal thoughts. If this is the case for you, consult the following sections:

Taking stock of your mental health

The first step toward taking back control is identifying what’s causing your suicidal thoughts.

Taking care of yourself

There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself and regain your balance when you’re having suicidal thoughts.

Talking about it with your loved ones

Asking for help from your family and friends isn’t always easy. There are different ways of going about it.

Finding support services

Every day, all sorts of people contact support services to get the help they need.

What to do if you are experiencing violence in a relationship

Violence can be dealt with. If there are signs that you’re experiencing violence in a relationship, it’s important to get help. First call Info-Social at 811, option 2, to discuss your situation with a psychosocial worker and be referred, if necessary, to resources in your area that can provide support.

For an assessment and follow-up with a healthcare professional, consult a general practitioner (your family doctor, for example), a psychologist or contact your local CLSC.

Other resources can help people experiencing violence in a relationship.


Advice for people experiencing violence in a relationship

What I'm going through...