Financial Problems and Suicide

What are financial problems?

A person experiences financial problems when their expenses exceed their income and they’re unable to repay debts from financial institutions or other individuals.


What are the signs of financial problems?

Signs of potential financial problems include:

  • Paying bills late
  • Not being able to make minimum monthly credit card payments
  • Spending less on basic necessities (food, clothing, hygiene products, etc.)
  • Finding yourself with more and more debt from different sources (loans, credit cards, or money borrowed from loved ones)
  • Being afraid of getting evicted
  • Getting collection calls from creditors
  • Paying off one credit card with another one

What impacts do financial problems have on your health?

  • Difficulty thinking about anything other than money problems
  • Money conflicts with loved ones
  • Headaches or stomach aches
  • Fear of opening your mail or answering the phone
  • Insomnia
  • Feelings of guilt for buying basic necessities
  • Depressed feelings or suicidal thoughts

Are you having financial problems and suicidal thoughts?

People with financial difficulties may have suicidal thoughts. If this is the case for you, consult the following sections:

01 Taking stock of your mental health

The first step toward taking back control is identifying what’s causing your suicidal thoughts.

02 Taking care of yourself

There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself and regain your balance when you’re having suicidal thoughts.

03 Talking about it with your loved ones

Asking for help from your family and friends isn’t always easy. There are different ways of going about it.

04 Finding support services

Every day, all sorts of people contact support services to get the help they need.

What to do if you think you’re in financial difficulty

It’s possible to find a way forward despite financial problems. If financial problems are affecting your psychological well-being, first call Info-Social at 811, option 2, to discuss your situation with a psychosocial worker and be referred, if necessary, to resources in your area that can provide support.

For an assessment and follow-up with a healthcare professional, consult a general practitioner (your family doctor, for example), a psychologist or contact your local CLSC.


Here’s also a list of resources for people with financial difficulties:



Advice for people in financial difficulty

What I'm going through...